WELCOME TO TEMPUR®
Thank you and congratulations on choosing TEMPUR®. You have joined our growing number of owners worldwide, who enjoy the amazing comfort and pressure-relieving benefits of TEMPUR®.
Nothing feels, supports or adapts to your body like our TEMPUR® Material.
This guide includes everything you need to know about caring for and getting the best out of your TEMPUR® product.
HOW DO I LOOK AFTER MY TEMPUR® PRODUCTS?
So you know what to expect when your TEMPUR® product first arrives, and to help you look after it in years to come, here's a summary of hints and tips to get you started.
A full guide on how to care for TEMPUR® Products including technical information, a key to all care symbols, and product safety details is available to view or down load to keep at the bottom of this page.
DURING YOUR DELIVERY OF YOUR MATTRESS
During shipping, the textile covers of larger items such as mattresses may move from their original position. Once you have your mattress unpacked and on your bed base, allow some time for the TEMPUR® Material to warm up in the ambient air temperature. Then you can simply straighten and smooth the cover back into position by hand.
WHAT IS THAT ‘NEW PRODUCT’ SMELL?
Once they have unpacked their new product, some people notice a slight odour to their new mattress. This is completely harmless and will disappear within 4-6 weeks. Allowing the product to air or 'breathe', preferably uncovered in a well ventilated area before and after use, may speed this up. Following the steps recommended in the ‘break-in period’ section will also help.
ABOUT THE TEMPUR® Material
The TEMPUR® Material is a pressure-relieving surface, engineered with a viscoelastic open cell structure that absorbs and evenly distributes the weight of your body for maximised comfort. The temperature-sensitive properties soften, compress and conform to the unique shape and weight of your body at average room temperature for personalised support. The high density of the TEMPUR® Material ensures maximum dimensional stability and comfort.
The TEMPUR® Material reacts to the thermal impact of the body. The viscoelasticity in the foam material ensures your TEMPUR® returns to its original shape after compression, with a certain built in delay. This delay varies with different temperatures. You can expect a firmer feel in cooler conditions of 18°C or less, whereas at higher temperatures the softer your TEMPUR® will feel.
GETTING USED TO THE FEEL OF YOUR NEW MATTRESS OR PILLOW
If your previous mattress or pillow used more traditional
methods of support such as springs, feathers and/or fibre,
it is likely your TEMPUR® products will initially feel
Our high level of support sometimes means your body needs to adjust to the change.
Just give yourself and your mattress and/or pillow time, and within a few weeks you will be enjoying the amazing comfort, support and pressure-relieving properties that a good night’s sleep brings.
HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO 'BREAK-IN' A MATTRESS OR PILLOW?
TEMPUR® Mattresses: the more time you spend on or in bed, reading or watching TV, the better! The extra movement will help the cells in the TEMPUR® Material to fully open (some may have remained closed after manufacture). As they open the cells 'breathe' and respond more rapidly to weight and temperature, but they will always return to their original shape. To the user it may feel like the mattress is getting softer, but in fact there is no change to the pressure relieving properties of your product. It is more likely your body is more ‘in tune’ with your bed.
No need to flip: advances in TEMPUR® technology have resulted in keeping maintenance to a minimum. Each mattress model has a build-up of multiple layers, so you sleep on the top side only.
If you share a bed occasionally rotating your mattress head to foot may help to maintain even comfort and support for both users, as well as prolong the life of your product.You may find this tip useful especially as everyone's individual body shape is unique.
TEMPUR® Pillows: during the first 2-3 weeks of ownership, it can help to use your pillow as a cushion during the day to improve the support and pressure-relief it is designed to deliver when you are sleeping.
If you have chosen a loose filled traditional or rectangular shaped pillow we advise you to shake and plump these items regularly. This will prevent the TEMPUR® particles from sticking together and creating uncomfortable dips in your pillow.
CAN I USE A HOT WATER BOTTLE OR ELECTRIC BLANKET?
Please note: TEMPUR® would not recommend using an electric blanket with a TEMPUR® mattress as the mattress works best in response to the natural body heat of the user. You may not experience optimum support if an electric blanket is used, as potentially it could cause irreversible damage to the pressure relieving properties of your mattress. If, however you still wish to have extra warmth, we would suggest an over electric blanket rather an under blanket. Please ensure it is not more than 10 years old and in proper working order.
For the same reasons above, TEMPUR® also do not recommend use of a hot water bottle with your mattress. If you still feel the need to use one, should this item develop a leak which wets, stains or damages your mattress we must advise you it will invalidate your manufacturer's guarantee.
MOVING HOUSE, TRANSPORTATION, STORAGE AND DISPOSAL
Unless otherwise stated TEMPUR® products should NOT be bent or pressed out of their original shape as there is a high risk of the TEMPUR® Material being damaged and all the properties and benefits it brings being lost.The following applies when transporting, moving or storing TEMPUR® products:
- Due to the nature of the foam material in TEMPUR® products it can become slightly compressed during transportation or storage. This is expected, the product will return to its normal size after a short time in room temperature.
- TEMPUR® toppers may be stored rolled up or laid out flat. Do not unroll a TEMPUR® topper when it is cold as there is a risk of the material tearing or cracking. Allow the topper to adjust or warm up to room temperature first before unrolling.
- TEMPUR® pillows should be stored and transported in their original shape. The only exception is the TEMPUR® Original Travel Pillow which may be transported rolled up in the bag supplied. (The bag should only be used when travelling to avoid permanent distortion of the pillow.)
- TEMPUR® mattresses must be stored flat, ideally in their original packaging.
- TEMPUR® products should be stored in a dry environment (maximum 65% relative humidity).
- For disposal of your used product please refer to the local authority within your country/region of residence for advice and guidance.
CLEANING, WASHING AND CARING FOR TEMPUR® PRODUCTS
Product care and general maintenance (including cleaning and washing):
- TEMPUR® mattresses must always be placed on a ventilated bed base e.g. with springs or slats, or a platform topped unit on castors, legs or feet to allow air to circulate freely, preventing moisture from accumulating. View our 'Choosing the Right Bed Base page' for more info.
- TEMPUR® Material itself cannot be washed, sponged or dry cleaned. There is a high risk that soaking with water or other cleaning fluids will cause irreversible damage, destroying the benefits of comfort and support which the patented TEMPUR® Material provides. It will also invalidate your guarantee.
- Do not steam-clean or dry-clean the TEMPUR® Material.
- Do not use a TEMPUR® pillow with wet hair, as the foam material will get damaged.
- Do not fold, bend or press your TEMPUR® product into shape as there is risk of damaging the TEMPUR® Material.
- Most TEMPUR® items have covers which may be carefully removed for cleaning or just for airing, allowing you to freshen up your product. A label stitched inside the cover will give you specific care instructions for the item you have purchased. Detailed care instructions specific to every item listed in our current ranges can also be found in the product description section of the item concerned.
- If, however, you are a TEMPUR® owner of an older model, we recommend you check the care label instructions carefully. In the case of some older mattresses such as the TEMPUR® Celebrity 31, these could have covers which cannot be removed or washed.
- As a general rule of thumb, if your mattress has TEMPUR® Material embedded or quilted into the cover (this applies to the majority of older 'Deluxe' models,) while it may be removed for airing, it is not washable. Any subsequent washing will invalidate your guarantee. The same applies to the TEMPUR® Deluxe Pillow which has a quilted fixed cover meaning it also cannot be washed.
If you are still unsure, please contact our Customer Services. They will be happy to provide assistance
PRODUCT SAFETY INFORMATION
Our full product safety information and guidance can be viewed or downloaded via the link to TEMPUR® Product Care (Global) below. Additional information regarding CE Marking may be found in the TEMPUR® Medical Warranty (Global). Please note, not all TEMPUR® products are sold in every country. You may see references to items currently not sold in the UK.
Many TEMPUR® products are CE marked as medical devices class 1, for prevention or reduce risk of developing pressure ulcers, which means that the properties of the product meet the requirements of directive 93/42/EEC. Please check the washing label to see whether the product you have purchased is CE labelled.
The composition of the TEMPUR® Material reduces the risk of it catching fire. TEMPUR® products fulfil the flammability standards laid down by the Medical Devices Directive. TEMPUR® products (their foams, fillings and composites) also pass the flammability test of the Furniture and Furnishings (fire) (safety) Regulations 1988. However the material can be ignited by direct contact with a naked flame, so smoking in bed, for example, is strongly discouraged.
LINKS TO TEMPUR® PRODUCT SAFETY AND CARE GUIDES
Click on the headings below to see the documents you wish to view:
More information can also be found against each product listed on this website. Go the product page and scroll down to specifications for further details.
This page was most recently updated on 01 April 2021.